Update on Arkport-Canaseraga School Merger Study
In August, the Canaseraga School Board and the Arkport School Board approved resolutions to enter into a merger study under annexation. The resolutions included numerous assurances – these can be found on the front page of our school website. Following this action, Mr. Groff and Mr. Harper (ACS Superintendent) spoke with the consulting firm of Castallo & Silky to engage their services to complete the merger study. This is the same firm that completed the studies in the past. Back in March 2017, we were informed by NYS Education Department officials that we could do an “expedited” study because of the relatively recent three-way merger study. Following the board approvals (in Aug) we needed to check to be sure this permission was still active. Although it took longer than expected to get this answer, we have been again notified by NYSED that we are permitted to do an expedited study. This will still entail creating a combined merger study committee and reviewing the data findings, but we will be able to do it with less meetings required. Along the way we will distribute information to our school community. Just as a reminder – the earliest we could combine our districts would be July 1, 2019. If you have any questions, thoughts, or comments, please contact Mr. Groff or one of your school board members.
Next Step: Annexation Merger Study
The Canaseraga Board of Education passed a resolution on August 24th that authorizes the District to move forward with a merger study with the Arkport School District under the merger method of annexation. The resolution, matching the one approved by the Arkport BOE, does include assurances related to the name of the combined district, academic programs, faculty & staff job retention, Canaseraga building use, mascot & colors, and board member seats. After numerous months of discussion, the two boards realized that some type of closure needed to occur – either move forward with a study or determine it was not the right time.
Now that each Board has approved the resolution to move forward, the study consultants will be contacted to arrange for the study to take place when their schedule will permit them to do the work. Each Board agrees that any merger of the districts would not take place until July 1, 2019, at the earliest. This time line will allow for the study phase, NYS Education Department review and approval, the required votes, and potential preparations prior to coming together.
We want to thank those who have come to the various meetings over the course of the discussions to express your opinions and thoughts. We also want to thank our community for your patience as we contemplated all of the aspects related to this decision.
8:00 AM - 12:30 PM Eye Screening - BOE Conference Room
3:15 PM - 4:15 PM CTA Meeting
6:30 AM - 7:40 AM Archery Club Practices - Big Gym (No Practice when there is no school)
3:15 PM - 4:15 PM CAC Meeting
8:00 AM - 8:45 AM Morning Program - Pre-K - 5th Grade - Small Gym